Monday, 7 May 2007


I recently took part in another online swap. It was for a needlecase. This was adapted from a design by Joan Gibson in Inspirations magazine issue 23 (1999). I put my own touch to it with the embroidery, which I almost always seem to make up as I go along, occasionally using a water-soluble marking pen. I used mainly DMC threads, a little home-dyed rayon thread , flat gathered silk for the parsley, and a little silk ribbon, embroidering everything onto a small piece of raw silk. A few beads also added for the cumquats, lemons, oranges? The monogram was chain-stitched with one strand of DMC and some gold Kreinik blending filament. The needlecase has a pocket inside to hold scissors or threads.
I find so much inspiration in other peoples work, but always have to add my own individual touches. It's so important though to give due credit to the owner of the original pattern.


marisa said...

thanks for your comment on my blog.Lovely your blog.Ciao from Italy

Tannia said...

Lovely needlebook - well done!

CameoRoze said...

Really enjoyed seeing the new needlebook you created! I admire folks who embroider without the counted pattern in front of their eyes. I seem to be more sure of myself with the little Xs and squares. :)

Found your link through Chloe's Place.

DelightfullyCrazy said...

Just beautiful!

Gumbo Lily said...

Oh what a darling needlecase! I want to make that!
Thanks Helen, for stopping by my blog. Come back again, and yes, you may link Gumbo Lily to your blog. I'll be back here again too!